20 May 2011

backlogged blogging again

Sailing as usual is one of my favorite and least favorite parts of the ship. I enjoy being out on the ocean and seeing the waves, feeling the ocean breeze, watching the sun rise and set over the endless blue. But, no matter how calm the sea, I always also live with the motion sickness throughout the length of the sail. This particular sail was 16 days long. I worked a few hours each during the morning and afternoon and rested the rest of the time. Once again we played sock-golf during the sail. One of my friends Sam, despite having designed a new course still managed to take first place and remain reigning champion.

Although I have been in the southern hemisphere and crossed the equatorial line 3 times, it has been by plane. This sail, however, I crossed from southern into northern on a ship. If you have never sailed across the equator, you are considered a shellback. After sailing across, you are considered a pollywog. I have to admit to a teensy bit of jealousy of my friends who stayed aboard for the shipyard phase when they sailed across. But, now I am a pollywog too! J There are all sorts of traditions that go along with sailing across but very few onboard took part in them (things like dancing naked which is definitely not mercy ships approved or shaving your head which a few of the guys did). I celebrated my pollywog status by vomiting for the first time ever while sailing due to the change of the currents making my motion sickness kick into overdrive. L I enjoyed several movie and game dates with friends as we prepared for the upcoming outreach and then…we were here!

No comments: