30 September 2008

what's in a name?

"What is in a name? Very much if the wit of man could find it out."

i have been reading the "A Wrinkle in Time" series by madeleine l'engle. in the scond book, she gives one of the main characters a new job...she is a "namer" and basically a namer is someone who makes you more you...sees in you that which is lovable and calls you by name, someone who you can be yourself with but it is the yourself you often withhold from others b/c they might not understand that which is in your heart.

i have several friends and close family who i would consider namers. and their names came to mind as i read the book.

but even more, i have One who loves me with a love i truly don't comprehend. it is a beautiful, gracious, merciful, just love that overwhelms me. and in His love He has a name for me that He has called me that is just mine...b/c He is the ultimate Namer. and it will be beautiful b/c i am only really truly freely me in Him.

Revelation 2:17 " He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it."

1 comment:

suzanne said...

This is such a beautiful post. Finding our identity in God and being free in that is such an awesome gift. I am praying for all of you on board and our brothers and sisters you are serving.