24 April 2009

a confession

i pretty much will read anything. i like classic novels, espionage thrillers, fantasy and the occasional sci-fi, murder mysteries, poetry, children's books like nancy drew and the boxcar kid series, teaching books by authors like cs lewis and andrew murray, the rare biography. but, i have a confession to make...a deep dark secret...i also like to read chick lite (romance fluff)! gasp! i don't think they are at all realistic. but they don't take any thought to read and sometime i just want to imagine a happily ever after.

so, why am i talking about this? well, because every so often the authors of Christian chick lite will put in a nugget of truth that is something i've never thought before or a new way to think about something.

from a book "Besides, I have to admit, you make a man wonder--will he be enough for you if you're not enough for yourself?"

this was one of those nuggets that i set the book aside and let my mind wander with. it seems ok, but a bit off. i would rather it say "if God is not enough for me, will a man be? can my family be? can my friends be? can my job be (this one i don't struggle with! grin) can how i spend my time be?" if I don't allow God to fill me and consume me then all these other things that cannot or should not will be given the chance to fill and consume me. and that burden applied to people will destroy the relationship. it is too much a burder for a person to try to fill God's place in a heart. and that burden given over to things will pervert that also--workaholic, addictive behaviors, or frantically trying to fill our time with deeds--it is not something that things can do, it is God's place.

No comments: