23 June 2008

saying goodbyes

saying good bye is hard to do. i am torn at this time of leaving...part of me is looking ahead and anticipating africa, part of me is wanting to hold tight to family and friends.

i spent a week in lubbock with my mom, brother, sister-in-law, nephew and nieces. it was great...hugs and 'nuggle' time (as connor says it without the s) and kisses and watching the kids laugh and play and catching a movie with mom and watching an old movie with holly, finding out more about insurance than i ever knew before, getting my i's dotted and t's crossed in preparation for being gone for however long, and hearing the kids sing happy birthday, visting with some old friends. but i must confess to many tears shed as i drove back towards dallas. this was my last time to see them for a while. and i will miss them so much.

sunday was my last official day at my church home, the ridge church of carrollton. pastor jerry called me up on stage and the church prayed for me and then joey (our music pastor) and the band played a praise song that was part english, part swahili to send me off. it was great! life group that evening was full of laughter and tears as my life group prayed over me and shared words of encouragement.

i have one more small going away this week and most of my goodbyes will be said. then it is off to training on sunday. and though i go forward, i will carry each of my dear family, my beloved friends in my heart.

No comments: