17 June 2009

34




no, i didn't mis-type...not 24 but 34 aka the 5th anniversary of my 29th birthday!!! hehehe

my birthday celebrations began on sunday evening when a handful of friends and i went out to eat at one of the local thai restaurants. as it is one of my favorite foods and i haven't had it in about a year it was a well appreciated dinner. lots of food and laughter...a good time all around. i always feel a bit schizophrenic during larger groups because i want to be part of all that is going on so i catch bits and pieces of all the conversations.
on monday afternoon after work, i spent a couple of hours baking for my own birthday. i decided if i was going to have to work on my birthday that i would have everyone celebrate with me. so i baked enough for the nurses, translators and patients who were allowed to eat so that everyone was part of my day.
the big day on tuesday. i took the brownies to work and handed them out...fun for me, a surprise for everyone else that i was giving THEM food on MY birthday. i had happy birthday sung in english and french and/or fon. nice! and olivia told me a couple of lines out of the chinese birthday wish. a very international birthday. because i had every intention of avoiding the dining room during the day (they ring a bell on your birthday and the 400-ish crew all sing happy birthday) i had dinner outside on deck 7 with the "family" as my closest friends here are known. and then games to finish off the evening. it was a good day.

i'll try to put up some pics later on

3 comments:

Ali C. said...

You forgot the best birthday present ever ... getting mooned by Bed 2! =) Thanks again for the brownies ... it's a rare baker who can get me to eat chocolate!

kristie abel said...

sounds like fun. yeah, i wouldn't like that bell much either. lol! miss some things about the ship, so i'm staying tuned in to your blog. keep up the good work. god bless.

Bonnie said...

Happy Late Birthday! Hope all is well on the Mercy. Miss you guys.