04 July 2008

happy 4th

yesterday in the community meeting at mercy ships, the chaplain (who is not american) spoke a bit about the 4th. one of my american classmates said after the meeting that she has never felt more american. i, however, never feel as much american when i am surrounded by people from other countries. i don't dislike being american (some of the things we think and do yes), i am grateful to have grown up here but i do like to know others from all over the world.

God is super cool. we've had two days of wow moments in class. yesterday, we all wrote our own version of psalm 136. (i'll add the one i did in 2005 at the bottom of this post if you care to read it, i seemed to be more mature then than now or at least better at expressing my walk in that form) anyways, back to class. tommy and sarah, a couple from the uk, were sitting at separate tables and both came up with similar psalms. then today, john and jenny, a couple from here in the states, were in separate groups during prayer time. each was given the same word from another in their respective groups (be strong and courageous). isn't God amazing!

so, here's my psalm for those who want to read it. it was written in nov 05
Give thanks to the LORD , for He is good. His love endures forever.
Give thanks to the God of gods. His love endures forever.
Give thanks to the LORD of lords: His love endures forever.
to Him who alone does great wonders, His love endures forever.
who created all that is seen and unseen, His love endures forever.
who washed the world in colours so beauteous, His love endures forever.
who filled the air with sounds wondrous— His love endures forever.
the chirp of the birds, the chattering of squirrels, His love endures forever.
the mighty roar of lions, the mournful call of wolves, His love endures forever.
the tumbling sounds of rivers and breaking sounds of waves. His love endures forever.
Give thanks to Him who saw me in my wretchedness, His love endures forever.
and loved me in spite of it, His love endures forever.
for He called me Beloved, His love endures forever.
for He made me beautiful, His love endures forever.
for He died to make me His own, His love endures forever.
for He rose again to establish hope, His love endures forever.
for He is my strength, His love endures forever.
for He is my peace and comfort, His love endures forever.
for He grants wisdom, His love endures forever.
for He allures me to the desert to win me back to His love, His love endures forever.
for He has mercy upon me, His love endures forever.
for He restores to me the joy of His salvation, His love endures forever.
for He gives me the treasures of darkness, His love endures forever.
for He walks with me in light, His love endures forever.
for He has been good to me all the days of my life. His love endures forever.

ps. next time i'll tell you about the "nanny"!

No comments: