31 August 2008

my Father's name

what is in a name? depending on who you ask, much or little. however, even if you said little, your name spoken to a family member/a friend/an enemy will bring you to mind--your face, your actions. so there is much in a name.

my Father has so many names...one or several are not enough to reveal Him to His creation. He has names He has given Himself and names people attribute to Him based on His revelation of Himself to them. because He is God, He has a name for every time of your life, something you can praise Him for, something you can hold on to (per nick, a God for all seasons of life). some of my all time favorite names...Jehovah Jireh (provider), Immanuel (God with us), Redeemer, Hope, Creator, Holy, Righteous, Portion

lately, it has been 'new' names He has pressed upon my heart...
El Roi or Lahairoi--the God who sees me
the God who hears me
Jehovah Machsi--Lord my Refuge
Rescuer
Quickener

what is it about these names. i know many of you who read this will think i am in a time of distress because He is pressing these names on my heart. but i don't feel distressed or worried. but there is something about knowing that the Creator of the whole universe sees me and hears me. and deep within all of us (well at least women) is a desire to be rescued. as far as my Refuge--i don't know why this one is impressed in my heart right now but how lovely that He is my place to run to when i need to run. and Quickener--because there are times when i need quickening, prodding or else i will grow stagnant.

and a few i ran across as i was studying His name this week because of His teaching me of His names...
the Amen--He is the completion to our prayers. amen means "it is so" or "so be it" or "truly"
consolation--at first this one threw me a bit...i read it in the meaning of "consolation prize" and i wondered how you could say this about Him, as if He is the prize given to the ones who lose just because everyone deserves a prize. but after studying the meaning of this word, i see it means more that He is our solace, our comfort.

how beautiful are His names...what are some of your faves and why?

No comments: